Using Oracle From Home - Instant Client
You can download Instant
Client from Oracle, which is the same software
used in the MI labs. For licensing reasons you must directly download
this from Oracle.
- Go to http://download.oracle.com
- Look for the Instant Client downloads
- Pick what sort of hardware/OS you use at home (e.g, Win 32/Win
- Accept the License Agreement
- Pick the latest version - currenlty Version 126.96.36.199.0
- You need two Instant Client Packages:
- Basic: All files required to run OCI, OCCI, and JDBC-OCI
- SQL*Plus: Additional libraries and executable for running
SQL*Plus with Instant Client
Finally you need a tnsnames.ora file so client can
- Create a directory to hold the unzipped files, e.g. c:\oracle
- Extract both zip files to this same folder (merge files if
- If using the latest version (25/09/13), this will create a
folder called: instantclient_12_1
- Download this file from here (right
click on link and choose "Save Link As...")
- This must be saved in the instantclient_12_1 directory.
- For example, if the files are in c:\oracle\instantclient_12_1
then this is where the tnsnames.ora file should be.
To run, double click on the sqlplus file in this
directory - you may wish to create a shortcut to the file on your
This will then work in the same manner as the SQL*Plus in the
University, but please note your files will be saved to your local PC,
not the University file store.
Return to Using Oracle From Home.
Wednesday, 25-Sep-2013 12:42:46 BST