SSH Clients - Putty
Accessing the mi-linux server
You must use a Secure Shell (SSH) to access mi-linux.wlv.ac.uk and in the University labs, putty can be used to provide this access.
A putty client is freely available on the web if you need a copy for home use and will run as a standalone executable, even on a memory stick.
If you do not have a copy of putty.exe:
- Use a search engine, such as Google and search for "putty download"
- Download the putty.exe file to somewhere convenient, e.g., your desktop, documents area, or a memory stick.
No further installation is needed.
Once the putty.exe file is downloaded:
- Double-click on the putty file or icon, for example:
- Then follow the instructions below on how to
After starting putty the following window will appear:
- Ensure that the SSH button is clicked under Protocol
- Type mi-linux.wlv.ac.uk in the Host
- Click on Open to start.
- When prompted with “login as”,
with your normal
- Username & Passwords:
- This is the username/password you use to logon to your PC
- Remember to press return after entering the username and
- Note, the password (or any asterisks) will not be echoed on the
The first time you use this, you will probably get the following
Click on Yes to proceed
Thursday, 26-Sep-2013 16:21:54 BST